Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Week 8 Blogs Jared Francis

Professor Patterson Spring 08’
English 500
Jared Francis

Topic Blogs for Week Eight
1. The idea that “ugly” or unattractive men make better husbands because they are less likely to be unfaithful and are more generally supportive is not a valid conclusion. I know of some individuals whom are married to or have dated guys that were not that attractive who have been victims of unfaithfulness. I do not believe that being faithful has anything to do with being attractive. It all stems from your mindset as an individual. If you have been taught certain morals and values in regards to relationships I believe that there would be no need for you to be unfaithful.
2. Whether or not boys and girls come to an understanding about their gender roles from what they observe in their parents is true to a certain extent. I also think that the media also plays a strong role in shaping the way that boys and girls view themselves. If we look on the television everyday you will find that all the shows and even the commercials are now raising children in terms of how they ought to be. I know for myself that growing up in my home I was fortunate to have parents who exemplified the roles to the fullest. There are many things also that I picked up from the media which were not all good but because of the ground work that was laid by my parents I didn’t turn out to bad.
3. I thing that in the past you had colleges and universities that solely focused on academics so once those students would leave the academic environment they would be lost in the workforce because they were not prepared. Today schools are doing a better job in terms of educating students about what to look for upon entering the workforce. I do believe though that every academic major department should take the initiative on a whole preparing students for the workforce because this will make them better employees within their respected fields of study. Preparation is the key to being successful in whatever you do.
4. The simple ease and accessibility of watching television versus going out to a movie does contribute to making television so addictive because nowadays one is able to watch the latest movies before they even come out in the theatre giving you the opportunity to watch these movies in the comfort of your home. All the technology that now plays a part in how one is able to access these movies without going to the theatre. This would never have happened in the past because access to movies sooner than later was never a heard of. Technology has now changed the face of the movie business which has forced us to stay in the comfort of our homes making us lazy.
5. I believe that celebrities have the right to refuse to be role models but this does not stop kids and adults from looking up to them whether they are doing good or doing bad. Charles Barkley was the one who made the quote poplar “I am not a role model” which mad many people upset. I do agree with him instead of focusing your attention on him although he was playing a sport that everyone admired and still does today young and old alike you should not look to him as a role model. Kids should take a look within their immediate circle to find a role model. Not everyone is a Hollywood celebrity or a basketball star so kids should be realistic with whom they choose to be their role models.

No comments: