I was raised by a single mother who tried her very best to raise me in an atmosphere where the moral standing was very high. Even though she was a single parent, she was never alone. I remember my grandmother and grandfather making sure they had a influence on me in positive way. I knew at an early age that certain behaviors were not accepted and I tried my best to live up to those standards.
Now that I am older, I look back and I realize how blessed and privileged when I was growing up. There were certain things I had to know how to do, those things included cooking, doing house chores but most of all how to carry my self like a young woman. My grandmother and mother were seamstresses when I was growing up and just our last name meant that a certain behavior was expected of me. Even though I grew up in a home where we had hired help, I was still expected to do chores around the home. I was also taught to choose friends wisely because it reflected me as well as my family.
My grandmother was the matriarch of the family and she made her business to teach how to be refined not just in speech but in but in conduct. I remember going to elementary school (primary school) and I could hear her in my head as I would conduct my self on the play ground, “don’t speak so loud”.
The person I am today is a result of the training I got, even though I did not realize today I am so much like my mother and grandmother. Even though I am an adult thee are so things I will not do because without realizing it these moral values have been ingrained deeply within. One’s upbringing has a lot to do the person we are today and I will say even though my family wasn’t perfect the principles I hold dear to today are a result of what they have poured into throughout the years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment